Mondays and Wednesdays, 6 PM – 8 PM
March 3 – April 4, 2019
Building Philadelphia: Architecture, History, & Politics
Independence Visitor Center (new location!)
599 Market St, Philadelphia, PA 19106
The popular ten-part speaker series has a new home for 2019! Join us as renowned local architects, urban planners, archaeologists, and historians explore the political, economic, and design trends that drove Philadelphia’s development. Topics include major urban planning projects such as the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and Society Hill, our world-class collection of architectural styles, and Philadelphia’s immigrant history.
Discounted pricing for full series. Reserve your spot today!
$175 | Series Pass
$125 | Holiday Special (through Dec. 31)
$100 | Alliance Member Series Pass
$75 | College Student Series Pass
Free | High School Student Series Pass
Tickets to individual talks ($20 general admission) will be available in January 2019.
2019 Speakers & Topics
• Mon, March 04 – John Andrew Gallery – Penn’s Plan and the Founding of the City
• Wed, March 06 – Richard Webster – From Colonial Capital to the Athens of America
• Mon, March 11 – Richard Webster – Romantic Philadelphia: Eclecticism of Style
• Wed, March 13 – Rebecca Yamin – The Hidden City: Archaeology in Greater Philadelphia
• Mon, March 18 – Jeffrey Cohen – The Victorian City
• Wed, March 20 – Paula Spilner – Going on Stilts: The Tall Building in 19th Century Philadelphia
• Mon, March 25 – David Brownlee – Making Philadelphia Modern: The Benjamin Franklin Parkway and Art Deco
• Wed, March 27 – William Whitaker – Philadelphia’s Modern Architecture: The Heroes and the Misfits
• Mon, April 01 – Caroline Golab – Immigration to the City
• Wed, April 03 – Scott Gabriel Knowles – Ed Bacon and the Future of Philadelphia
• Wed, April 10 – Tour Guide Training Session (Free for series attendees)
Schedule subject to change based on speaker availability.
Earn a Certificate!
By attending this series and passing an online exam, you can receive a Certificate in Philadelphia Architecture and Urban History. Attend an additional 3-5 FREE training sessions to be certified as a volunteer guide for the Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia. Contact Caroline Slama for more information.