Mount Moriah Cemetery, straddling Cobbs Creek in Southwest Philadelphia and Yeadon Borough, is one of the area’s largest and most historic burial grounds. At a reported 380 acres, it’s bigger than Laurel Hill, Woodlands, and Greenwood Cemeteries combined. It is also virtually abandoned, slowly being engulfed in a forest of weeds and a plague of illegal dumping. […]
Still a functioning SEPTA bus shelter at 33rd and Dauphin, the Strawberry Hill Bus Barn was built in 1901 as Philadelphia’s first and only trolley depot. Meet the neighbors who are fighting to protect this neighborhood landmark from demolition– the sad fate of so many other pieces of Philadelphia’s transit history, including the Fairmount Park […]
http://www.vimeo.com/18382438 Via Newsworks and Aaron Warkov, a day in the life of Allen Lane Station, one of six SEPTA regional rail station restoration projects receiving a Preservation Achievement Award at our upcoming Awards Luncheon. CLICK HERE for more on the event and this year’s other winners.
Q: If the Spectrum implodes in an apocalyptic dust storm and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? A: Yes, because it’s on Youtube. via Philly.com
Field Notes would’ve really jumped the shark with this bizarre piece of medical noir if it weren’t for the choice shots of vintage Philadelphia architecture contained herein– the Art Museum, 2601 Parkway, rowhouses, daylight factories, colonial revival ‘burbs. Oh, the good old days, when the factories churned and the sanatoriums cured…. This is a Cliff […]
WPVI, we hardly knew you. Demolished earlier this year, Vincent Kling’s donut-shaped television studio on City Line Avenue sure looks like a keeper in this mod-tastic 1963 glimpse into its design and construction, featuring a star turn by Kling himself. Click on the screenshot above for a link to the video, and apologies in advance […]
Part John Steinbeck, part Lewis Mumford, part Alfred Hitchcock, all Philadelphia. The more things change….
[blip.tv http://blip.tv/play/AaWYKAI] Don’t miss the incomparable beer historian Rich Wagner TONIGHT at 7:30 at the Center for Northeast Philadelphia History (1507 Orthodox St.) as he presents “The Breweries of Frankford, Kensington and Bridesburg.” Sponsored by the Historical Society of Frankford, $5 general public (free for HSF members). CLICK HERE for more information. Special thanks to […]
In honor of the 2010 Phillies’ fourth straight NL East title, scenes from the late great Shibe Park. Later coined Connie Mack Stadium, it was the first concrete and steel stadium in the majors, designed in 1909 by Philadelphia architects William Steele & Sons. The fifty-foot outfield wall was erected 1935 to block views from […]