Places to Save
Our advocacy work focuses attention and energy towards special places at risk of being lost, and is driven by the Preservation Alliance’s advocacy agenda. The sites are featured in each issue of Extant, our triennial magazine. Prior to 2014 the Preservation Alliance maintained an “Endangered Properties List.” “Places to Save” is a rebranding of that list.
View the Endangered Properties Archive here.
Location: Nicetown-Tioga, North Philadelphia
Built: 1890s, 1960s
Location: 119 East Lincoln Highway, Coastesville
Location: 215-231 South Ninth Street
Built: 1815, 1925
Threat: Deferred Maintenance, Redevelopment
Tabor Chapel/First Colored Wesley Church
Location: 1642 Fitzwater Street
Threat: Campus Expansion
Location: 702-210 Sansom Street
Threat: Development, Undesignated Resource
Young Men’s & Young Women’s Hebrew Association / Gershman Y
Location: 400-11 South Broad Street
Threat: Campus Expansion
Weisbrod & Hess Brewery
Location: 2117 East York Street
Built: 1891, 1899
Threat: Deferred Maintenance, Speculative Development
West Philadelphia Institute
Location: 22-26 South 40th Street
Built: 1876, alterations 1927, 1976
Threats: Insensitive Alterations, Speculative Development
3600 Block of Lancaster Avenue Philadelphia, PA Built: c. 1872, 1880 Threat: Development The south side of the 3600 block of Lancaster Avenue is a nearly intact row of vernacular homes and storefronts built in the 1870s. The properties, which are consolidated as a single parcel, help define the historic character of Powelton Village and, […]
Dyottville Glass Works Homes 1122, 1123-1125, 1130-1136 East Hewson Street Built: c.1815-1825 Threat: Development Although less recognized than sites such as the Disston Saw Works or the Stetson Hat Company, notable experiments in industrial/residential paternalism, the Dyottville Glass Works nonetheless represents an important piece of Kensington’s early manufacturing history. The plant and its legacy were […]
Edward Corner Marine 1100-1102 N. Delaware Avenue Built: 1921 Threat: Development For those who have ever wondered, the answer is yes, Fishtown is more than a cute name. The moniker was probably adopted in the mid-19th century; however, the coastal area comprising Fishtown, Kensington and Port Richmond long served as a site of subsistence and commercial […]
The Blue Horizon has hosted fights since 1961 in this historic former Loyal Order of Moose Lodge. A taxpayer-funded hotel development threatens to completely demolish the auditorium, a North Broad Street landmark celebrated as one of the world’s most famous boxing venues.
Built by noted Quaker Joseph Price in 1799 for travelers on the Philadelphia to Lancaster Turnpike, this is one of the oldest surviving structures in Lower Merion Township. Over strong community opposition, a “by right” development seeks to demolish the building and replace it with five new homes.
UPDATE FEBRUARY 2015: New development agreement proposes saving the building!
This iconic gateway to one of the region’s largest and most historic cemeteries has suffered from decades of neglect. Cemetery supporters are celebrating the site’s transfer to the non-profit Monut Moriah Cemetery Preservation Corporation, but the gatehouse will require immediate stabilization to survive another harsh winter.
Fans of midcentury modern architecture are rallying to save the former Philadelphia Hospitality Center from possible demolition after the City of Philadelphia announced plans to redesign Love Park with or without the quirky flying-saucer-shaped building in place. Public support for keeping and reusing the building will be critical to its survival.