Philadelphia Historical Commission Approves Fifteen New Additions to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places

Frazier-PlaydonOn June 14, 2013, the Philadelphia Historical Commissionvoted to add fourteen properties to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places, the City’s list of historic sites that are protected from adverse alteration or unnecessary demolition. A fifteenth nomination was approved on July 12.  Included in the approvals were four properties listed on the Preservation Alliance’s Endangered Properties List in 2011Joe Frazier’s Gym (2917-19 N. Broad Street), Chinatown YMCA (125 N. 10th Street), Stiffel Senior Center (2501-15 S. Marshall Street), and the Dox Thrash House (2340 Cecil B. Moore Avenue).  The Alliance wrote and submitted the nominations for these and two other buildings, Horn & Hardart Building (15-21 S. 11th Street) and the Paschalville Free Library (6942 Woodland Avenue).  The Alliance also provided funding to the Friends of Happy Hollow for their successful nomination of the Happy Hollow Playground (4740 Wayne Avenue) and to the Historical Society of Frankford for their successful nomination of the Leech House (1548 Adams Avenue).
“These designations honor and protect more than 300 years of Philadelphia history,” said Preservation Alliance Executive Director Caroline E. Boyce. “We applaud the Historical Commission for their action on these and all the nominations under consideration.  From a home in Frankford built in the early eighteenth century to a North Broad Street gym that produced a heavyweight champion of the world in the 1970s, these are the places that make Philadelphia special.”

Many of the nominations were collaborative efforts: students from Temple University’s undergraduate architectural preservation program undertook preliminary research that led to the successful nomination of Joe Frazier’s Gym.  Graduate interns from the University of Pennsylvania’s historic preservation program, with funding assistance from the National Trust for Historic Preservation, completed the nominations for the Chinatown YMCA, Dox Thrash House, Horn & Hardart Building and the Paschalville Free Library, and assisted with the Frazier nomination.  A recent Penn graduate donated pro bono services to the Alliance and Save Our Stiffel to complete the Stiffel Senior Center nomination.

In addition to the nominations sponsored by the Alliance, four additional properties were nominated by the staff of the Philadelphia Historical Commission, one was nominated by the Philadelphia City Planning Commission, and one by a private citizen.

Any individual or group can nominate a building to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.  To learn more about the designation process, CLICK HERE for the Alliance’s How to Nominate an Individual Building, Structure, Site or Object to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places, or contact Ben Leech, Director of Advocacy, at ben@preservationalliance.com or 215-546-1146 x5.

Links to each of the nominations are available below:

• Joe Frazier’s Gym, 2917-19 N. Broad Street
• Dox Thrash House, 2340 Cecil B. Moore Avenue
• Stiffel Senior Center, 2501-15 S. Marshall Street
• A. Pomerantz & Co. Building, 1525 Chestnut Street
• Chinatown YMCA (Chinese Cultural and Community Center), 125 N. 10th Street
• Horn & Hardart Building, 15-21 S. 11th Street
• St. Petri Evangelical German Lutheran Church (Community Church of God), 838 1/2 N. 42nd Street
• Leech House, 1548 Adams Avenue
• Box Grove Plantation, 8047 & 8049 Walker Street
• Flavell Family House, 5340 Greene Street
• George T. Pearson House, 125 W. Walnut Lane
• Happy Hollow Playground Recreation Center, 4740 Wayne Avenue
• Bethel Burying Ground (Weccacoe Playground), 405-25 Queen Street
• Shofuso Japanese House and Garden, 4301 Lansdowne Drive
• Paschalville Branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia, 6942 Woodland Avenue

 


Media coverage of the approved nominations:

“Historical Commission adds to register, approves Old City apartment,” Plan Philly, June 15, 2013

“14 buildings added to city historical register,” Hidden City Daily, June 14, 2013

“15 sites move closer to city’s historic registry,” Philadelphia Inquirer, May 30, 2013

Return to Top | Return Home