Protecting historic properties through advocacy is the primary mission of the Preservation Alliance.
Advocacy is both an area of concentration and a component of all of the Alliance’s work. Advocacy programs and services include the following:
- Review and comment on proposals for alteration or demolition of historic properties in Philadelphia through regular monitoring of the Philadelphia Historical Commission.
- Appeals, when appropriate, of decisions by the Philadelphia Historical Commission or other public agencies, and support of appeals filed by community organizations in Philadelphia and adjacent counties.
- Participation in “Section 106” reviews of federally-funded projects to ensure the protection of historic resources.
- Advocacy on such public policy issues as creation of new state tax incentives for historic preservation, creation of conservation districts in Philadelphia, and review of proposed changes to the City’s Historic Preservation Ordinance.
- Creation of on-line petitions and letter writing or email campaigns on critical local and state preservation issues.
- Advice to private developers, community organizations, and individuals on the laws and procedures of historic preservation including designation of historic properties, creation of historic districts, financial resources for preservation projects, and procedures for alterations or demolition of historic properties.
- Nominations of historic properties to the Philadelphia and National Registers of Historic Places.
Visit our Advocacy in Action pages for the latest in preservation issues and alerts.
Please support our efforts by donating or becoming a member today!
DONATE OR JOIN